So you would be travelling to Nigeria for the holidays? Amazing! We tell you what you need to know and where to visit for a good time.
It’s getting closer to that time to de-stress and unplug for the year. As it gets colder, you might want to mimic the birds and migrate to somewhere hotter for the holidays.
Here, we give you the top travel advice and even better what to do for fun, once you’re down here.
Without further ado!
What you Need to Know Checklist
Nigeria Travel Requirements and COVID Guidelines
COVID is very much out there and Nigeria has strict policies for both in-bound and outbound travel to Nigeria. This is what you would need to do;
- Take a PCR COVID Test – not Rapid or Viral Antigen, no less than 72 hours before your flight time. Take note of the length of your layovers as that could affect the validity of the test.
- Register online on the NITP Travel Portal for your follow-up COVID Test to be done 7 days after you have landed. You’re also advised to quarantine during the first 7 days of your trip but it’s not forced or mandatory at state facilities.
- You have the option to choose the facility closest to where you would be staying for the follow up COVID Test 7 days after your arrival.
- Also note you might have to pre-pay for your follow up COVID Test before printing your confirmation.
- Print – yes physically print- out the confirmation document with a Bar Code containing your passenger data and flight information and take with you to the Airport which would be checked before your departure and at arrival.
- When leaving, you would also have to take a COVID test 72 hours before departure- which is around N50,000 ($121). You can search for the nearest drive -through COVID Test Clinic in your area.
- Be watchful, people can prey on your ignorance so do not pay cash to random strangers or ‘officials’ to help you in the airport or during your travel.
Hotel and Accommodation Tips
There are numerous hotels and other accommodation options for your visit to Nigeria – where the best option might depend on your location, sites or events you want to attend or the length of your stay.
You can search and book reservations for hotels on these websites in any area;
We also have world class international standard hotels in
- Transcorp Hilton
- Radisson Blu
- Marriot Hotel
However if you’re staying for a longer time or would need homey spaces for your travel to Nigeria, you can get short let houses for rent on these websites;
For short lets, make sure to not make payment before arrival and before seeing the place in person.
Let your money stay in your pocket. A reservation is more than enough.
Places to Visit and What to Do
The most exciting part, what places should you check out for fun.
Getting around is super easy as you can use Uber and Bolt for trips. You could also get cab hires or short term drivers to take you around the city through the airport when you arrive although they are more expensive.
Lagos, Nigeria Travel Activity To Do List
There are numerous beaches to visit in Lagos;
- Ikate Elegushi Beach,
- Ilashe Beach
- Oniru Beach,
- Lekki Leisure beach,
- Eleko Beach
- Landmark Beach and many more.
Check out arcade, bowling and indoor games event centers like
You can catch a boat cruise from several Jettys in Lagos Island and Marina and visit Tarkwa Bay – an artificial island off the Lagos Harbour overlooking the Lagos Lagoon leading to the Atlantic Ocean.
If there’s anything you need to try, it’s Nigerian cuisine; make sure to try swallows, soups, our infamous jollof rice and rice dishes, sea-food and lots MORE
Check out this amazing Tik Tok of restaurants to eat at while in Lagos and who knows you might meet someone in the comments restaurants below to plan a catch up with;
Let’s get adding places in the comments people 🇳🇬 #fyp #FORYOURPAGE #lagostiktok #CinderellaMovie #fypシ♬ original sound – MacMillan D GOAT 🐐
My Lagos Restaurant Recommendations
- Marco Polo, Lekki Phase 1 – Make sure to try the chicken samosas and spring rolls. Divine!
- Hard Rock Cafe – Amazing Water front View. Located at Landmark
- SHIRO Lagos – Right next to Hard Rock Cafe. Located at Landmark
- Ebony Life Place – Turaka Roof Top Restaurant and Bar, VI Lagos(Amazing view and drinks)
- Blowfish Hotel – Night Time Poolside Area
- This last one is a secret – You can’t share it with anyone but for daytime coffeeshop and brunch dates, Check out Cafe Jade in Lekki Phase 1.
- Extremely Instagram aesthetic worthy, amazing drinks!
- Call first, there’s a password for access that changes everyday- I told you it was a secret.
December is the BEST time to see your favourite Afrobeats musicians live. Eko Hotels and Suites is the hub for all concerts as well as other musical festivals.
A major yearly music festival is the Flytime Music Festival with several local and international artists is set to hold this year between Dec 21st to Dec 24th 2021.
Get your spirits up with one of the largest Gospel concerts in Africa at ‘The Experience‘ hosted by Paul Adefarasin and the House on the Rock Church with numerous international and local gospel artists to perform. It is to be held on December 3rd 2021.
Live theatre plays and shows
Catch a LIVE theatre play at Terrakulture! It’s always a nice time over there to watch culturally informative plays about Nigerian history and way of life with food, drinks, art exhibits and MORE!
Check out ingenious African Art at Nike Art Centre or attend ART X Lagos events for a chance to buy exclusive Art from underground Nigerian Talent.
Check out the Lekki Conservation Centre to walk the longest canopy walk in Africa.
You would also see local wildlife, exotic birds, tortoises and other animals in the center.
There are parks with monkey bars, swings and life size chess board sets that would be great to play with kids, family members and friends.
Visit an open market to get souvenirs
Make sure to get something to remind you of your stay – Personalized Ayò Game sets, Necklaces, Trinkets, Native Wear, Aso-oke, Beads, Art or even Dashikis.
Get yourself something to take back from your travel to Nigeria. Suya is definitely allowed.
There are open Markets like Balogun Market where you can get souvenirs or open Sunday flea markets on Admiralty Way Lekki Phase 1 to check out.
Visit Eko Atlantic City
Eko Atlantic City is a man-made planned city of Lagos built with the Atlantic Ocean as a waterfront view.
You could visit the city for a spa day at a Beauty Studio and have lunch at Pearl Cafe in Eko Pearl Towers.
As a content creator, this place is definitely one of the places – hands down to get a picture or create content at.
You could also schedule a Property viewing and Apartment Shopping in Eko Atlantic City.
Why not get a Lagos forever home or serviced apartment to Air BnB or rent out for residual income. *wink* *wink*
Pop up at a Random Owambe Wedding
I’m going to leave you to it but if you’re successful in sneaking into one without getting kicked out and manage to get food, Come and collect your green passport!
You’re a full blooded NIGERIAN! and have officially completed your last bucket list item for your visit to Nigeria.
And that’s it lovely!
I wish you the best and safe travels and hope to see you down here in December.
What would you end up doing?
Enjoy your travel to Nigeria and let us know if this was helpful on finding what to do in Nigeria for fun.
How many bucket list items are you planning to tick off? Let me know in the blog comments sweetie.
Let loose, have fun and create memories.
Till next time! Ciao.